Sunday, September 21, 2014

Restraint

Two reactions I had when I heard how UP student activists treated Secretary Butch Abad: aghast and dismay.

Secretary Abad is not my favorite Secretary.   In fact, I don't think I even have a favorite among the Cabinet members.  (I do not play favorites even among my staff.  It is, I think, the ultimate sign of unprofessionalism but I digress.)

I just wished these students knew RESTRAINT and practiced it to the fullest.

But, of course, restraint, just like asserting one's rights in the context of democracy, is anchored on Respect.

Secretary Abad might not have earned their Respect but these students should know better, specially in articulating their Cause.

No matter how we hate, and with such disdain, loathe some people, do we hurt them consciously? 

I want to think that these students' parents have taught them well.  However, no matter how I tried to rationalize what they did, just so I can make their actions excusable, I cannot accept how they acted. 

I thought UP students are cut above the rest.

Probably, not anymore, and not all. 

(Kung ganyan kayo, sayang ang binabayad naming buwis. Sa iba na lang sana mapunta.)

1 comment:

BabyPink said...

When I heard about this in the News, I didn't know what to feel talaga. And, you verbalized it for me. Respect. Respect lang.

Remember dati I always said that what I love most about Peyups is also the very thing I hate most about it-- too much freedom. Hay.

UP-Kumalma!!!